Meeting notes 12/6/12
1. Rip Curl event @ Jobos on Feb. 6 – 10. We’ll be asking Rip Curl for $3,000 : $1,500 for water monitoring and $1,500 for reef restoration. We will have a booth and need many volunteers! On the proposal to Rip Curl we will include the following 4 points:
a. Beach cleanup – we decided that it makes sense to do it once a day in the morning and not also in the afternoon.
b. Recycling – contact center in Hatillo that helps with recycling at big / corporate events. Isabela’s municipio is still in charge of trash. If Rip Curl buys recycling containers, we can donate them to the schools and businesses that help out and to Rescate Playas Isabela.
c. School involvement – get school involved to help with beach cleanups and possibly tree planting (?)
d. Tree planting at Middles’ dunes on the Saturday of the competition. Revisit former tree planting sites and document progress.
2. Things are looking positive for the reef restoration grant. We will be expanding the area we restore. If the grant gets approved, the project will commence in June 2013.
3. Steve Fitzpatrick book sales and signing event at Pool Bar! Surfrider will have a table there, and we will be selling shirts and stickers and talking about what we do. Also try to recruit people for the Rip Curl event – have poster of the event and collect names / emails.
4. Wes is working on a film documenting the reef restoration project. We’re looking for local musicians to contribute music to the film. He hopes to show it at the Rincon International Film Festival! Any leads on local musicians who might be interested?
5. NEXT FUNDRAISER!! Jan. 11 at the Rum Shack.
a. In discussion with a band to play. They would get 20% of the door.
Let’s get the word out!
6. Paddleboard race in the La Parguera part 2! Let’s start talking to the right
people about getting that going.
7. Business cards – final changes made, let’s get ‘em done! A screen-printer
friend wants to donate those to us. YAY!
8. Still making changes to the updated Surfrider Rincón website. Need “mission”
and “history” (Steve) and photos of shirts (Jim).
9. Making Waves – write about the progress Reduciendo la huella plástica is
helping make with the banning of the bag: Rincón will be the first municipality in PR that has considered banning the use of single use plastic bags. Talk about sickatthebeach.com (first see Jim Moriarty’s blog to see how he covered it). Look on “chapter news” to see where to send updates.
10. Dumping on Sandy Beach continues for preparation of a wall in a sensitive area known to be a turtle nesting spot. Make querellas!
11. What are the emergency phone numbers that people can call? Rhea will print the list in “El Coqui”.
12. Beach cleanup Jan. 13.
13. At farmers market SFR and RHP will be at a table and handing out FREE