Tonight was our last time to meet in the Rincón balneario for our meetings. Now that we’ve moved our office, we will begin to hold the meetings in the Rincón plaza.
- We have moved offices! There is still work to be done, but most of the heavy-lifting is done. Our move is not only saving us money, but it is more central and makes loading and unloading easier now that we are on the first floor.
- We are financially in the black! Our last fundraiser was a great success, and it was made even better due to a generous donor who matched the amount we raised. We love our angels.
- The Rincón art walk was a great success. Tres Puertas Gallery donated a portion of sales to Surfrider Rincón. THANK YOU!
- All testing sites in Rincón and Aguada have had green results, meaning very low bacteria levels. Great news!
- The symposium on artificial reefs was discussed at length. The conclusion was that the ocean’s waters are rising and there is not much we can do to stop the problems we are facing. An attendee of our meeting shared her story – her beachfront property used to have 100 yards of beach out front. Now there is little to none. Erosion will only get worse, so do not build or buy property on the beach!
- We are in the planning stages of our “Feria Eco-Ambiental”. We will have live music, food, drinks, raffles, non-profit groups, children’s activities, and local artisans at the Rincón balneario on March 23 from 12 pm – 6 pm. Come celebrate the environment and help Surfrider Rincón raise funds before the high season is over.
- Rincón is now part of a pilot program in Puerto Rico to “ban the bag.” Carolina and San Juan will also be participating in the program. The start date is TBD, but it’s never too early to start using your re-usable bags now!
- April 7 we will have a table at the Rincón farmer’s market. We will be giving away reusable bags, selling shirts, accepting donations, and talking about what we do.
- A beach cleanup day is coming in April. Stay tuned for the exact date and location.