- Events and Updates
- Donate & Shop
- Our Concerns
- Get Involved
The above picture was taken on Memorial Day – June 26, 2014. Surfrider Rincón and La Organización Comunitaria de Surfing de Rincón teamed up for a great effort by volunteers within the community to clean the beach between Maria’s and Indicators and plant more than 50 trees in the same area. Thanks to all who were a part of this amazing day!
- We will have a table at the Farmers’ Market on Sunday, June 8. All Surfrider Rincón shirts will be on sale for $15 or buy 2 for $25. Stop by, say hi and grab a shirt before they’re gone!
- International Surfing Day is June 20! Come celebrate with us at Domes Beach. The day will begin at 9 am with a beach cleanup followed by a BBQ lunch provided for a suggested donation of $5. There will be a raffle and other water activities going on as well. We had a ton of fun last year and we’re looking to repeat!
- Membership Drive – Sign up to become an official Surfrider member at the ISD event on June 20 and get a free shirt or other gift.
- Stay tuned for more! Follow us on Facebook to find out when and where we will be meeting next!
Today at the meeting we discussed the following :
- Water quality testing results – why are the readings at Marias beach showing high bacteria levels? Time to do a little investigation. Sign up for our newsletter HERE to receive weekly with the water quality test results and other information about the chapter and what we’re up to!
- Playuela meetings for the Christopher Columbus Landing Resort (CCLR) – the meetings are every other week at CORA. The next meeting is on Feb. 19 at 6 pm. Follow the group page on facebook.
It’s important that people are aware of what’s going on with the proposed project. Due to a law put into place to favor large developments like the CCLR, the people that are essential to the cause must live by or near the proposed development. This doesn’t mean that if you are not a neighbor that you cannot help. Be informed, go to the meetings, tell others about what’s going on, and best of all – enjoy the beaches that are in danger of being closed to public access!
- 3/25/13 @ 10 am at the Alcadía in Mayaguez – vistas públicas (públic hearings) for the CCLR.
- Fundación Surfrider Rincón is planning a fundraiser. Stay tuned! It’s going to be a fun event for a great cause. Make sure you are following us on facebook for updates!
- The next beach cleanup is in March, and it’s the first one that will take place in the early afternoon instead of early in the morning! Details : Saturday, March 8 @ 3 – 6 pm at Parking Lots beach in Puntas. Join the fun, invite your friends on the facebook event page.
- New shirts are coming soon! The new colors, designs, and women’s styles are going fast. You can support Fundación Surfrider Rincón by buying a shirt at any of our fundraiser events, contests, and beach cleanups. The money raised by these sales goes directly to the chapter and helps pay for our weekly water testing, fundraiser events, and office rentals. All of our volunteers are strictly volunteers, and do not receive payment for the work they do!
- If you are interested in helping out, please attend our monthly meetings that take place the first Thursday of each month at 7pm in the Rincón plaza. We look forward to seeing you there!
Surfrider has joined Movimiento Playuela in the fight against the mega resort – Christopher Columbus Landing Resort – planned for Aguadilla. Not only will this mega resort have a devastating environmental impact on the coast where it is scheduled to be built, it will also block beach access to some of the best and most beautiful beaches in Aguadilla.
Please join the movement and help spread the word so that we can save our beloved coastal areas and encourage the local government to develop well thought-out spaces that everyone can enjoy, but which also protect the natural resources of Puerto Rico that are in danger of being destroyed or taken away.
Check out Movimiento Playuela’s facebook page to stay up-to-date – https://www.facebook.com/MovimientoPlayuelaa.
Come be a volunteer with Surfrider at this great event on Jan. 18-20! Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or 787.642.8234.
The film “Restore” highlights the Rincon chapter of the Surfrider Foundation’s community-based reef restoration project which has worked to remove more than 2.5 tons of marine debris off local reefs since 2007. Watch and see how hundreds of volunteers can help make a huge difference by uniting in a quest towards ocean conservation and preservation.
Come and celebrate surfing with us!
On June 22, we’re meeting up at DOMES BEACH for a day of fun in the sun!
9am – 1pm
Surfing • Paddleboarding • Beach cleanup • Raffle • BBQ
Invite your friends on Facebook:
Not sure how to get there? Click this link:
We started a fundraising campaign to fund our Water Quality testing program
Check it out ,share if you are in facebook or donate any amount you feel comfortable.
Thanks for your support.
Tonight was our first night meeting in the town plaza. We’re going to meet there one more time and decide if we will continue meeting there or if we will go back to the balneario.
- Big success at the farmers’ market! We had such a great time talking with the friendly folks at the market, and selling our t-shirts that we’ve decided that we have to do this once a month. Follow us on Facebook to get updates and find out what we’re up to.
- A huge thanks to all who came out to the eco-fair on March 23 at the balneario. The music and food were great and everyone had a fun time.
- The documentary film by Wess Merten about the restoration of the coral reef premieres at the Rincon International Film Festival on April 12 at Rincon of the Seas. Surfrider was a part of this long term project, and it was a great success that we are happy to have been a part of.
- We are planning on having a movie night in May featuring “Restore”. Stay tuned for the more details.
- April 20 is water quality testing day for Puerto Rico. Surfrider is proud to say that we do weekly water testing in and around Rincón and with the help of Rescate Playas Isabela in the north coast. Click to see the latest Blue Water Task Force results.
- Post spring break beach cleanup at Parking Lots beach beginning at 8:30 am on Sat. 4/6.
- June 1st is the date of the lionfish derby in Arecibo, more info coming soon. Lionfish are an invasive, non-native species of fish that are a danger to the local fish and coastal waters. The derby will be a contest to see who can spear the most!
- June 20 is international surfing day. Surfrider is planning a day of fun in the sun, most likely at Sandy beach. Join us!
- This week we will begin delivering donation jars to local businesses who want to Surfrider. These jars will help us collect money throughout slow the summer months.
- We want to further explore the idea of an adopt-a-beach program for the beaches in and around Rincón. This would be a great opportunity for local businesses to show they care about the beaches that the people care about so much.