- Events and Updates
- Donate & Shop
- Our Concerns
- Get Involved
Today at the meeting we discussed the following :
- Water quality testing results – why are the readings at Marias beach showing high bacteria levels? Time to do a little investigation. Sign up for our newsletter HERE to receive weekly with the water quality test results and other information about the chapter and what we’re up to!
- Playuela meetings for the Christopher Columbus Landing Resort (CCLR) – the meetings are every other week at CORA. The next meeting is on Feb. 19 at 6 pm. Follow the group page on facebook.
It’s important that people are aware of what’s going on with the proposed project. Due to a law put into place to favor large developments like the CCLR, the people that are essential to the cause must live by or near the proposed development. This doesn’t mean that if you are not a neighbor that you cannot help. Be informed, go to the meetings, tell others about what’s going on, and best of all – enjoy the beaches that are in danger of being closed to public access!
- 3/25/13 @ 10 am at the Alcadía in Mayaguez – vistas públicas (públic hearings) for the CCLR.
- Fundación Surfrider Rincón is planning a fundraiser. Stay tuned! It’s going to be a fun event for a great cause. Make sure you are following us on facebook for updates!
- The next beach cleanup is in March, and it’s the first one that will take place in the early afternoon instead of early in the morning! Details : Saturday, March 8 @ 3 – 6 pm at Parking Lots beach in Puntas. Join the fun, invite your friends on the facebook event page.
- New shirts are coming soon! The new colors, designs, and women’s styles are going fast. You can support Fundación Surfrider Rincón by buying a shirt at any of our fundraiser events, contests, and beach cleanups. The money raised by these sales goes directly to the chapter and helps pay for our weekly water testing, fundraiser events, and office rentals. All of our volunteers are strictly volunteers, and do not receive payment for the work they do!
- If you are interested in helping out, please attend our monthly meetings that take place the first Thursday of each month at 7pm in the Rincón plaza. We look forward to seeing you there!
Surfrider has joined Movimiento Playuela in the fight against the mega resort – Christopher Columbus Landing Resort – planned for Aguadilla. Not only will this mega resort have a devastating environmental impact on the coast where it is scheduled to be built, it will also block beach access to some of the best and most beautiful beaches in Aguadilla.
Please join the movement and help spread the word so that we can save our beloved coastal areas and encourage the local government to develop well thought-out spaces that everyone can enjoy, but which also protect the natural resources of Puerto Rico that are in danger of being destroyed or taken away.
Check out Movimiento Playuela’s facebook page to stay up-to-date – https://www.facebook.com/MovimientoPlayuelaa.
Come be a volunteer with Surfrider at this great event on Jan. 18-20! Send a message to email@example.com or 787.642.8234.
The film “Restore” highlights the Rincon chapter of the Surfrider Foundation’s community-based reef restoration project which has worked to remove more than 2.5 tons of marine debris off local reefs since 2007. Watch and see how hundreds of volunteers can help make a huge difference by uniting in a quest towards ocean conservation and preservation.
Come and celebrate surfing with us!
On June 22, we’re meeting up at DOMES BEACH for a day of fun in the sun!
9am – 1pm
Surfing • Paddleboarding • Beach cleanup • Raffle • BBQ
Invite your friends on Facebook:
Not sure how to get there? Click this link:
We started a fundraising campaign to fund our Water Quality testing program
Check it out ,share if you are in facebook or donate any amount you feel comfortable.
Thanks for your support.
Tonight was our first night meeting in the town plaza. We’re going to meet there one more time and decide if we will continue meeting there or if we will go back to the balneario.
- Big success at the farmers’ market! We had such a great time talking with the friendly folks at the market, and selling our t-shirts that we’ve decided that we have to do this once a month. Follow us on Facebook to get updates and find out what we’re up to.
- A huge thanks to all who came out to the eco-fair on March 23 at the balneario. The music and food were great and everyone had a fun time.
- The documentary film by Wess Merten about the restoration of the coral reef premieres at the Rincon International Film Festival on April 12 at Rincon of the Seas. Surfrider was a part of this long term project, and it was a great success that we are happy to have been a part of.
- We are planning on having a movie night in May featuring “Restore”. Stay tuned for the more details.
- April 20 is water quality testing day for Puerto Rico. Surfrider is proud to say that we do weekly water testing in and around Rincón and with the help of Rescate Playas Isabela in the north coast. Click to see the latest Blue Water Task Force results.
- Post spring break beach cleanup at Parking Lots beach beginning at 8:30 am on Sat. 4/6.
- June 1st is the date of the lionfish derby in Arecibo, more info coming soon. Lionfish are an invasive, non-native species of fish that are a danger to the local fish and coastal waters. The derby will be a contest to see who can spear the most!
- June 20 is international surfing day. Surfrider is planning a day of fun in the sun, most likely at Sandy beach. Join us!
- This week we will begin delivering donation jars to local businesses who want to Surfrider. These jars will help us collect money throughout slow the summer months.
- We want to further explore the idea of an adopt-a-beach program for the beaches in and around Rincón. This would be a great opportunity for local businesses to show they care about the beaches that the people care about so much.
Tonight was our last time to meet in the Rincón balneario for our meetings. Now that we’ve moved our office, we will begin to hold the meetings in the Rincón plaza.
- We have moved offices! There is still work to be done, but most of the heavy-lifting is done. Our move is not only saving us money, but it is more central and makes loading and unloading easier now that we are on the first floor.
- We are financially in the black! Our last fundraiser was a great success, and it was made even better due to a generous donor who matched the amount we raised. We love our angels.
- The Rincón art walk was a great success. Tres Puertas Gallery donated a portion of sales to Surfrider Rincón. THANK YOU!
- All testing sites in Rincón and Aguada have had green results, meaning very low bacteria levels. Great news!
- The symposium on artificial reefs was discussed at length. The conclusion was that the ocean’s waters are rising and there is not much we can do to stop the problems we are facing. An attendee of our meeting shared her story – her beachfront property used to have 100 yards of beach out front. Now there is little to none. Erosion will only get worse, so do not build or buy property on the beach!
- We are in the planning stages of our “Feria Eco-Ambiental”. We will have live music, food, drinks, raffles, non-profit groups, children’s activities, and local artisans at the Rincón balneario on March 23 from 12 pm – 6 pm. Come celebrate the environment and help Surfrider Rincón raise funds before the high season is over.
- Rincón is now part of a pilot program in Puerto Rico to “ban the bag.” Carolina and San Juan will also be participating in the program. The start date is TBD, but it’s never too early to start using your re-usable bags now!
- April 7 we will have a table at the Rincón farmer’s market. We will be giving away reusable bags, selling shirts, accepting donations, and talking about what we do.
- A beach cleanup day is coming in April. Stay tuned for the exact date and location.