Today at the meeting we discussed the following :
– Water quality testing results – why are the readings at Marias beach showing high bacteria levels? Time to do a little investigation. Sign up for our newsletter HERE to receive weekly with the water quality test results and other information about the chapter and what we’re up to!
– Playuela meetings for the Christopher Columbus Landing Resort (CCLR) – the meetings are every other week at CORA. The next meeting is on Feb. 19 at 6 pm. Follow the group page on facebook.
It’s important that people are aware of what’s going on with the proposed project. Due to a law put into place to favor large developments like the CCLR, the people that are essential to the cause must live by or near the proposed development. This doesn’t mean that if you are not a neighbor that you cannot help. Be informed, go to the meetings, tell others about what’s going on, and best of all – enjoy the beaches that are in danger of being closed to public access!
– 3/25/13 @ 10 am at the Alcadía in Mayaguez – vistas públicas (públic hearings) for the CCLR.
– Fundación Surfrider Rincón is planning a fundraiser. Stay tuned! It’s going to be a fun event for a great cause. Make sure you are following us on facebook for updates!
– The next beach cleanup is in March, and it’s the first one that will take place in the early afternoon instead of early in the morning! Details : Saturday, March 8 @ 3 – 6 pm at Parking Lots beach in Puntas. Join the fun, invite your friends on the facebook event page.
– New shirts are coming soon! The new colors, designs, and women’s styles are going fast. You can support Fundación Surfrider Rincón by buying a shirt at any of our fundraiser events, contests, and beach cleanups. The money raised by these sales goes directly to the chapter and helps pay for our weekly water testing, fundraiser events, and office rentals. All of our volunteers are strictly volunteers, and do not receive payment for the work they do!
– If you are interested in helping out, please attend our monthly meetings that take place the first Thursday of each month at 7pm in the Rincón plaza. We look forward to seeing you there!